Tuesday, August 17, 2010

lets get organized...

So I thought, what is my biggest challenge as a busy mom? Menu planning. Let me tell you moms out there that the way to save your sanity (and your budget) is to meal plan. Down to the last ingredient. EVERY week I sit down one day, and make my weekly menu and shopping list. It looks like this example: ( This is just an example)

Monday: Sloppy Joes/ Fries
Tuesday : Lasagna/Salad/Breadsticks
Wednesday: Fish Tacos/Mexi Rice/Beans
Thursday: BBQ Chicken/Potato Salad/Corn on Cob
Friday: Skirt Steak/Baked Potato/Salad
Saturday: Pasta Natalia/Salad/Garlic Bread
Sunday: Pizza


This menu then gets placed on my fridge where everyone can read it for themselves and dissolves the age old question, "Mom, what's for dinner?".

Next is to compile your shopping list. I get a sheet of notebook paper. I then segment it into the different categories of the grocery store. i.e. Meats, Produce, Dry goods, Dairy, Bread and Frozen. List EVERY ingredient needed to make EACH nights meals, down to spices. After you have the entire list made, add your staples, like bread for lunches, milk, eggs, tea bags, after school snacks etc.... the things you use everyday. Don't forget to include spices, marinades and dressings. Now go to your pantry and fridge and freezer. Mark OFF anything that you ALREADY have. I am all about using what I already have. Not buying more oil when you have two bottles of it at home already. Now when you go to the store, buy ONLY what is on the list, do not deviate from it. You will be amazed at how much easier and actually enjoyable grocery shopping can be.

In the future I will be listing the menu and shopping list that I have planned for my family that week. Maybe it can help those of you that just don't have the time.

Here is a Kid Favorite recipe:

Tator Tot Casserole
16oz sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 Cups cheddar cheese
32oz tator tots
1 can French's french fried onions

Spray pan with cooking spray. Layer frozen tator tots in pan. In bowl, mix sour cream, soup and 2 cups of cheese and mix well. Pour over tator tots and add 2 cups of cheese and top with the french fried onions. Bake at 375F for 1 hour.

Happy Planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment